- Corrections on the Annual Revision: due to the pandemic and cinema's worldwide being closed during most of 2020, I decided to add no films from 2020 (and delete Nomadland fom the list) (5/14)
- Corrections on the Annual Revision: Added King Kong and Badlands to The One Year Film School (5/14)
- Corrections on the Annual Revision: Added Portrait of a Lady on Fire, East of Eden and Black Narcissus to The One Year Film School (5/11)
- 2020 Oscar Winners added (4/29)
- ANNUAL REVISION: Added Nomadland and 17 other film classics to The One Year Film School (4/9)
- Added Winchester '73 to the Tarantino List (4/9)
- Added The Terminator, Aliens, Hellraiser and Joker to the Tarantino List (2/25)
Site created by
Geert Verbanck, a Belgian film buff and screenwriter.
Among others, I wrote the Oscar nominated short Tanghi Argentini, and cowrote the international hit show 13 Commandments. A few years back I published a book (in Dutch) about the 365 films you have to see. This site (created during the 2020 lockdown) is a sort of sequel to that.
watching the classics is the Best Film School you can get!As Scorsese puts it: "I do it like painters used to do, or painters do: study the old masters, enrich your palette, expand your canvas."
With this list of 365 films, it will only take you a year to discover the most important classics. After that you'll have a good sense what a classic is made of, or what kind of film tickles your fancy (and what kind doesn't), and you'll get inspired to follow your own path as a filmmaker / cameraman / editor / screenwriter...
So start watching today.
"The only school for the cinema is the cinema."
Tarantino SchoolI made a Grindhouse Version as well!
Check it out here.