Awards for 1982
Steven Spielberg - Producer, Kathleen Kennedy - Producer, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
* Sir Richard Attenborough - Producer, GANDHI
Won eight Awards.
Edward Lewis - Producer, Mildred Lewis - Producer, MISSING
Sydney Pollack - Producer, Dick Richards - Producer, TOOTSIE
Richard D. Zanuck - Producer, David Brown - Producer, THE VERDICT
Dustin Hoffman, TOOTSIE
* Ben Kingsley, GANDHI
Jack Lemmon, MISSING
Paul Newman, THE VERDICT
Peter O'Toole, MY FAVORITE YEAR
Julie Andrews, VICTOR/VICTORIA
Jessica Lange, FRANCES
Sissy Spacek, MISSING
* Meryl Streep, SOPHIE'S CHOICE
Debra Winger, AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
Charles Durning, THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS
* Louis Gossett, Jr., AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
John Lithgow, THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP
James Mason, THE VERDICT
Robert Preston, VICTOR/VICTORIA
Glenn Close, THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP
Teri Garr, TOOTSIE
* Jessica Lange, TOOTSIE
Kim Stanley, FRANCES
Lesley Ann Warren, VICTOR/VICTORIA
Wolfgang Petersen, DAS BOOT/THE BOAT
Steven Spielberg, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
* Sir Richard Attenborough, GANDHI
Sydney Pollack, TOOTSIE
Sidney Lumet, THE VERDICT
Writing - Screenplay (Written Directly For The Screen)
Barry Levinson, DINER
Melissa Mathison, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
* John Briley, GANDHI
Douglas Day Stewart, AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
Larry Gelbart, Murray Schisgal, Don McGuire, TOOTSIE
Writing - Screenplay (Based on Material from Another Medium)
Wolfgang Petersen, DAS BOOT/THE BOAT
* Costa-Gavras, Donald Stewart, MISSING
Alan J. Pakula, SOPHIE'S CHOICE
David Mamet, THE VERDICT
Blake Edwards, VICTOR/VICTORIA
ALSINO AND THE CONDOR
COUP DE TORCHON/CLEAN SLATE
THE FLIGHT OF THE EAGLE
A PRIVATE LIFE
* TO BEGIN AGAIN
Dale Hennesy - Art Direction, Marvin March - Set Decoration, ANNIE
Lawrence G. Paull - Art Direction, David L. Snyder - Art Direction, Linda DeScenna - Set Decoration, BLADE RUNNER
* Stuart Craig - Art Direction, Bob Laing - Art Direction, Michael Seirton - Set Decoration, GANDHI
Franco Zeffirelli - Art Direction, Gianni Quaranta - Set Decoration, LA TRAVIATA
Rodger Maus - Art Direction, Tim Hutchinson - Art Direction, William Craig Smith - Art Direction, Harry Cordwell - Set Decoration, VICTOR/VICTORIA
Jost Vacano, DAS BOOT/THE BOAT
Allen Daviau, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
* Billy Williams, Ronnie Taylor, GANDHI
Nestor Almendros, SOPHIE'S CHOICE
Owen Roizman, TOOTSIE
* John Mollo, Bhanu Athaiya, GANDHI
Piero Tosi, LA TRAVIATA
Albert Wolsky, SOPHIE'S CHOICE
Elois Jenssen, Rosanna Norton, TRON
Patricia Norris, VICTOR/VICTORIA
Sturla Gunnarsson - Producer, Steve Lucas - Producer, AFTER THE AXE
John Karol - Producer, Michel Chalufour - Producer, BEN'S MILL
Meg Switzgable - Producer, IN OUR WATER
* John Zaritsky - Producer, JUST ANOTHER MISSING KID
Joseph Wishy - Producer, A PORTRAIT OF GISELLE
Documentary Short Subject
Robert Richter - Producer, GODS OF METAL
* Edward Le Lorrain - Producer, Terri Nash - Producer, IF YOU LOVE THIS PLANET
Charles Guggenheim - Producer, Werner Schumann - Producer, THE KLAN: A LEGACY OF HATE IN AMERICA
Freida Lee Mock - Producer, TO LIVE OR LET DIE
John G. Avildsen - Producer, TRAVELING HOPEFULLY
Hannes Nikel, DAS BOOT/THE BOAT
Carol Littleton, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
* John Bloom, GANDHI
Peter Zinner, AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
Fredric Steinkamp, William Steinkamp, TOOTSIE
Tom Smith, GANDHI
* Sarah Monzani, Michele Burke, QUEST FOR FIRE
Music - Original Score
* John Williams, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
Ravi Shankar, George Fenton, GANDHI
Jack Nitzsche, AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
Jerry Goldsmith, POLTERGEIST
Marvin Hamlisch, SOPHIE'S CHOICE
Music - Original Song Score and Its Adaptation or Adaptation Score
This award was reinstated in 1982.
Ralph Burns - Adaptation Score, ANNIE
Tom Waits - Song Score, ONE FROM THE HEART
* Henry Mancini - Song Score, Leslie Bricusse - Song Score, VICTOR/VICTORIA
Music - Song
(formerly Music - Original Song)
Jim Peterik - Music & Lyrics, Frankie Sullivan, III - Music & Lyrics, ROCKY III
"Eye of the Tiger"
Michel Legrand - Music, Alan Bergman - Lyrics, Marilyn Bergman - Lyrics, BEST FRIENDS
"How Do You Keep the Music Playing?"
John Williams - Music, Alan Bergman - Lyrics, Marilyn Bergman - Lyrics, YES, GIORGIO
"If We Were in Love"
Dave Grusin - Music, Alan Bergman - Lyrics, Marilyn Bergman - Lyrics, TOOTSIE
"It Might Be You"
* Jack Nitzsche - Music, Buffy Sainte-Marie - Music, Will Jennings - Lyrics, AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
"Up Where We Belong"
Short Films - Animated
Will Vinton - Producer, THE GREAT COGNITO
John Coates - Producer, THE SNOWMAN
* Zbigniew Rybczynski - Producer, TANGO
Short Films - Live Action
Bob Rogers - Producer, BALLET ROBOTIQUE
* Christine Oestreicher - Producer, A SHOCKING ACCIDENT
Michael Toshiyuki Uno - Producer, Joseph Benson - Producer, THE SILENCE
Jan Saunders - Producer, SPLIT CHERRY TREE
Andrew Birkin - Producer, SREDNI VASHTAR
Milan Bor, Trevor Pyke, Mike Le-Mare, DAS BOOT/THE BOAT
* Robert Knudson, Robert Glass, Don Digirolamo, Gene Cantamessa, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
Gerry Humphreys, Robin O'Donoghue, Jonathan Bates, Simon Kaye, GANDHI
Arthur Piantadosi, Les Fresholtz, Dick Alexander, Les Lazarowitz, TOOTSIE
Michael Minkler, Bob Minkler, Lee Minkler, Jim La Rue, TRON
Sound Effects was reinstated as Sound Effects Editing in 1982.
Mike Le-Mare, DAS BOOT/THE BOAT
* Charles L. Campbell, Ben Burtt, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
Stephen Hunter Flick, Richard L. Anderson, POLTERGEIST
Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich, David Dryer, BLADE RUNNER
* Carlo Rambaldi, Dennis Muren, Kenneth F. Smith, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
Richard Edlund, Michael Wood, Bruce Nicholson, POLTERGEIST
No award given for 1982.
Academy Award of Merit (Statuette)
* August Arnold, Erich Kaestner, For the concept and engineering of the first operational 35mm, hand-held, spinning-mirror reflex, motion picture camera (reflex camera).
Scientific and Engineering Award (Plaque)
* Colin F. Mossman, Research And Development Group of Rank Film Laboratories, London, For the engineering and implementation of a 4,000 meter printing system for motion picture laboratories.
* Sante Zelli (Elemack Italia S.R.L., Rome)
Salvatore Zelli (Elemack Italia S.R.L., Rome)
For the continuing engineering, design and development that has resulted in the Elemack Camera Dolly Systems for motion picture production.
* Leonard Chapman, For the engineering design, development and manufacture of the PeeWee Camera Dolly for motion picture production.
* Dr. Mohammad S. Nozari (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company)
For the research and development of the 3M Photogard protective coating for motion picture film.
* Brianne Murphy (Mitchell Insert Systems Incorporated)
Donald Schisler (Mitchell Insert Systems Incorporated)
For the concept, design and manufacture of the MISI Camera Insert Car and Process Trailer.
* Jacobus L. Dimmers, For the engineering and manufacture of the Teccon Enterpises' magnetic transducer for motion picture sound recording and playback.
Technical Achievement Award (Citation)
* Richard W. Deats, For the design and manufacture of the "Little Big Crane" for motion picture production.
* Constant Tresfon (Egripment)
Adriaan De Rooy (Egripment)
Ed Phillips (Matthews Studio Equipment Incorporated)
Carlos de Mattos (Matthews Studio Equipment Incorporated)
For the design and manufacture of the Tulip Crane for motion picture production.
* Bran Ferren (Associates and Ferren)
For the design and development of a computerized lightning-effect system for motion picture photography.
* Christie Electric Corporation, LaVezzi Machine Works Inc.
For the design and manufacture of the Ultramittent film transport for Christie motion picture projectors.
Honorary and Other Awards
* Mickey Rooney, For 50 years of versatility in a variety of memorable film performances. Winner presented a Statuette.
The Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
No award given for 1982.
The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
* Walter Mirisch,
The Gordon E. Sawyer Award
* John O. Aalberg, For technical contributions that have brought credit to the motion picture industry.