Awards for 1980
Bernard Schwartz - Producer, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
Jonathan Sanger - Producer, THE ELEPHANT MAN
* Ronald L. Schwary - Producer, ORDINARY PEOPLE
Irwin Winkler - Producer, Robert Chartoff - Producer, RAGING BULL
Claude Berri - Producer, Timothy Burrill - Co-producer, TESS
* Robert De Niro, RAGING BULL
Robert Duvall, THE GREAT SANTINI/THE ACE
John Hurt, THE ELEPHANT MAN
Jack Lemmon, TRIBUTE
Peter O'Toole, THE STUNT MAN
Ellen Burstyn, RESURRECTION
Goldie Hawn, PRIVATE BENJAMIN
Mary Tyler Moore, ORDINARY PEOPLE
Gena Rowlands, GLORIA
* Sissy Spacek, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
Judd Hirsch, ORDINARY PEOPLE
* Timothy Hutton, ORDINARY PEOPLE
Michael O'Keefe, THE GREAT SANTINI/THE ACE
Joe Pesci, RAGING BULL
Jason Robards, MELVIN AND HOWARD
Eileen Brennan, PRIVATE BENJAMIN
Eva Le Gallienne, RESURRECTION
Cathy Moriarty, RAGING BULL
Diana Scarwid, INSIDE MOVES
* Mary Steenburgen, MELVIN AND HOWARD
David Lynch, THE ELEPHANT MAN
* Robert Redford, ORDINARY PEOPLE
Martin Scorsese, RAGING BULL
Richard Rush, THE STUNT MAN
Roman Polanski, TESS
Writing - Screenplay (Written Directly For The Screen)
W.D. Richter, Arthur Ross, BRUBAKER
Christopher Gore, FAME
* Bo Goldman, MELVIN AND HOWARD
Jean Gruault, MON ONCLE D'AMERIQUE
Nancy Meyers, Charles Shyer, Harvey Miller, PRIVATE BENJAMIN
Writing - Screenplay (Based on Material from Another Medium)
Jonathan Hardy, David Stevens, Bruce Beresford, BREAKER MORANT
Tom Rickman, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
Christopher DeVore, Eric Bergren, David Lynch, THE ELEPHANT MAN
* Alvin Sargent, ORDINARY PEOPLE
Lawrence B. Marcus, Richard Rush, THE STUNT MAN
KAGEMUSHA (THE SHADOW WARRIOR)
THE LAST METRO
* MOSCOW DOES NOT BELIEVE IN TEARS
John W. Corso - Art Direction, John M. Dwyer - Set Decoration, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
Stuart Craig - Art Direction, Bob Cartwright - Art Direction, Hugh Scaife - Set Decoration, THE ELEPHANT MAN
Norman Reynolds - Art Direction, Leslie Dilley - Art Direction, Harry Lange - Art Direction, Alan Tomkins - Art Direction, Michael Ford - Set Decoration, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Yoshiro Muraki - Art Direction, KAGEMUSHA (THE SHADOW WARRIOR)
* Pierre Guffroy - Art Direction, Jack Stephens - Art Direction, TESS
Nestor Almendros, THE BLUE LAGOON
Ralf D. Bode, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
James Crabe, THE FORMULA
Michael Chapman, RAGING BULL
* Geoffrey Unsworth, Ghislain Cloquet, TESS
Patricia Norris, THE ELEPHANT MAN
Anna Senior, MY BRILLIANT CAREER
Jean-Pierre Dorleac, SOMEWHERE IN TIME
* Anthony Powell, TESS
Paul Zastupnevich, WHEN TIME RAN OUT…
Ross Spears - Producer, AGEE
* Murray Lerner - Producer, FROM MAO TO MOZART: ISAAC STERN IN CHINA
Jon Else - Producer, THE DAY AFTER TRINITY
David Bradbury - Producer, FRONT LINE
Bengt von zur Muehlen - Producer, Arthur Cohn - Producer, THE YELLOW STAR - THE PERSECUTION OF THE JEWS IN EUROPE 1933-45
Documentary Short Subject
John Watson - Producer, Pen Denshaw - Producer, DON'T MESS WITH BILL
George Casey - Producer, THE ERUPTION OF MOUNT ST. HELENS
Dick Young - Producer, IT'S THE SAME WORLD
* Roland Hallé - Producer, Peter W. Ladue - Producer, KARL HESS: TOWARD LIBERTY
Richard Hawkins - Producer, Jorge Preloran - Producer, LUTHER METKE AT 94
Arthur Schmidt, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
David Blewitt, THE COMPETITION
Anne V. Coates, THE ELEPHANT MAN
Gerry Hambling, FAME
* Thelma Schoonmaker, RAGING BULL
Music - Original Score
John Corigliano, ALTERED STATES
John Morris, THE ELEPHANT MAN
John Williams, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
* Michael Gore, FAME
Philippe Sarde, TESS
Music - Original Song
* Michael Gore - Music, Dean Pitchford - Lyrics, FAME
Dolly Parton - Music & Lyrics, 9 TO 5
"Nine to Five"
Willie Nelson - Music & Lyrics, HONEYSUCKLE ROSE
"On the Road Again"
Michael Gore - Music, Lesley Gore - Lyrics, FAME
"Out Here on My Own"
Lalo Schifrin - Music, Wilbur Jennings - Lyrics, THE COMPETITION
Short Films - Animated
Frederic Back - Producer, ALL NOTHING
* Ferenc Rofusz - Producer, THE FLY
Michael Mills - Producer, HISTORY OF THE WORLD IN THREE MINUTES FLAT
Short Films - Live Action
* Lloyd Phillips - Producer, THE DOLLAR BOTTOM
Bob Carmichael - Producer, Greg Lowe - Producer, FALL LINE
Sally Heckel - Producer, A JURY OF HER PEERS
Arthur Piantadosi, Les Fresholtz, Michael Minkler, Willie D. Burton, ALTERED STATES
Richard Portman, Roger Heman, Jim Alexander, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
* Bill Varney, Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Peter Sutton, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Michael J. Kohut, Aaron Rochin, Jay M. Harding, Chris Newman, FAME
Donald O. Mitchell, Bill Nicholson, David J. Kimball, Les Lazarowitz, RAGING BULL
This award discontinued 1968-1981.
No award given for 1980. See Special Achievement Awards 1980.
* Brian Johnson - Visual Effects, Richard Edlund - Visual Effects, Dennis Muren - Visual Effects, Bruce Nicholson - Visual Effects, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Academy Award of Merit (Statuette)
* Linwood G. Dunn, Cecil D. Love, Acme Tool and Manufacturing Company, For the concept, engineering and development of the Acme-Dunn Optical Printer for motion picture special effects.
Scientific and Engineering Award (Plaque)
* Jean-Marie Lavalou (Samuelson Alga Cinema SA and Samuelson Film Service Ltd.)
Alain Masseron (Samuelson Alga Cinema SA and Samuelson Film Service Ltd.)
David Samuelson (Samuelson Alga Cinema SA and Samuelson Film Service Ltd.)
For the engineering and development of the Louma Camera Crane and remote control system for motion picture production.
* Edward B. Krause (Filmline Corporation)
For the engineering and manufacture of the micro-demand drive for continuous motion picture film processors.
* Ross Taylor, For the concept and development of a system of air guns for propelling objects used in special effects motion picture production.
* Dr. Bernhard Kuhl (Osram GmbH)
Dr. Werner Block (Osram GmbH)
For the progressive engineering and manufacture of the OSRAM HMI light source for motion picture color photography.
* David A. Grafton, For the optical design and engineering of a telecentric anamorphic lens for motion picture optical effects printers.
Technical Achievement Award (Citation)
* Carter Equipment Company, For the development of a continuous contact, total immersion, additive-color motion picture printer.
* Hollywood Film Company, For the development of a continuous contact, total immersion, additive-color motion picture printer.
* Andre DeBrie, S.A.
For the development of a continuous contact, total immersion, additive color motion picture printer.
* Charles Vaughn (Cinetron Computer Systems Incorporated)
Eugene Nottingham (Cinetron Computer Systems Incorporated)
For the development of a versatile general purpose computer system for animation and optical effects motion picture photography.
* John W. Lang (Bell & Howell Company)
Walter Hrastnik (Bell & Howell Company)
Charles J. Watson (Bell & Howell Company)
For the development and manufacture of a modular continuous contact motion picture film printer.
* Worth Baird (LaVezzi Machine Works Incorporated)
For the advanced design and manufacture of a film sprocket for motion picture projectors.
* Peter A. Regla (Elicon)
Dan Slater (Elicon)
For the development of a follow focus system for motion picture optical effects printers and animation stands.
Honorary and Other Awards
* Henry Fonda, The consummate actor, in recognition of his brilliant accomplishments and enduring contribution to the art of motion pictures. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Fred Hynes, Presented in appreciation for outstanding service and dedication in upholding the high standards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Winner presented a Medal of Commendation.
The Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
No award given for 1980.
The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
No award given for 1980.