Awards for 1978
Jerome Hellman - Producer, COMING HOME
* Barry Spikings - Producer, Michael Deeley - Producer, Michael Cimino - Producer, John Peverall - Producer, THE DEER HUNTER
Alan Marshall - Producer, David Puttnam - Producer, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
Warren Beatty - Producer, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
Paul Mazursky - Producer, Tony Ray - Producer, AN UNMARRIED WOMAN
Warren Beatty, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
Gary Busey, THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY
Robert De Niro, THE DEER HUNTER
Lord Laurence Olivier, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL
* Jon Voight, COMING HOME
Ingrid Bergman, AUTUMN SONATA
Ellen Burstyn, SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR
Jill Clayburgh, AN UNMARRIED WOMAN
* Jane Fonda, COMING HOME
Geraldine Page, INTERIORS
Bruce Dern, COMING HOME
Richard Farnsworth, COMES A HORSEMAN
John Hurt, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
* Christopher Walken, THE DEER HUNTER
Jack Warden, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
Dyan Cannon, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
Penelope Milford, COMING HOME
* Dame Maggie Smith, CALIFORNIA SUITE
Maureen Stapleton, INTERIORS
Meryl Streep, THE DEER HUNTER
Woody Allen, INTERIORS
Hal Ashby, COMING HOME
Warren Beatty, Buck Henry, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
* Michael Cimino, THE DEER HUNTER
Alan Parker, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
Writing - Screenplay (Written Directly For The Screen)
Ingmar Bergman, AUTUMN SONATA
* Nancy Dowd, Waldo Salt, Robert C. Jones, COMING HOME
Michael Cimino, Deric Washburn, Louis Garfinkle, Quinn K. Redeker, THE DEER HUNTER
Woody Allen, INTERIORS
Paul Mazursky, AN UNMARRIED WOMAN
Writing - Screenplay (Based on Material from Another Medium)
Walter Newman, BLOODBROTHERS
Neil Simon, CALIFORNIA SUITE
Elaine May, Warren Beatty, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
* Oliver Stone, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
Bernard Slade, SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR
* GET OUT YOUR HANDKERCHIEFS
THE GLASS CELL
(Federal Republic of Germany)
WHITE BIM BLACK EAR
Dean Tavoularis - Art Direction, Angelo Graham - Art Direction, George R. Nelson - Set Decoration, Bruce Kay - Set Decoration, THE BRINK'S JOB
Albert Brenner - Art Direction, Marvin March - Set Decoration, CALIFORNIA SUITE
* Paul Sylbert - Art Direction, Edwin O'Donovan - Art Direction, George Gaines - Set Decoration, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
Mel Bourne - Art Direction, Daniel Robert - Art Direction, INTERIORS
Tony Walton - Art Direction, Philip Rosenberg - Art Direction, Edward Stewart - Set Decoration, Robert Drumheller - Set Decoration, THE WIZ
* Nestor Almendros, DAYS OF HEAVEN
Vilmos Zsigmond, THE DEER HUNTER
William A. Fraker, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
Robert L. Surtees, SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR
Oswald Morris, THE WIZ
Renie Conley, CARAVANS
Patricia Norris, DAYS OF HEAVEN
* Anthony Powell, DEATH ON THE NILE
Paul Zastupnevich, THE SWARM
Tony Walton, THE WIZ
Albert Lamorisse - Producer, THE LOVERS' WIND
Alan Root - Producer, MYSTERIOUS CASTLES OF CLAY
Jean-Pierre Dutilleux - Producer, Barry Williams - Producer, Michel Gast - Producer, RAONI
* Arnold Shapiro - Producer, SCARED STRAIGHT!
Anne Bohlen - Producer, Lyn Goldfarb - Producer, Lorraine Gray - Producer, WITH BABIES AND BANNERS: STORY OF THE WOMEN'S EMERGENCY BRIGADE
Documentary Short Subject
Jerry Aronson - Producer, THE DIVIDED TRAIL: A NATIVE AMERICAN ODYSSEY
K.K. Kapil - Producer, AN ENCOUNTER WITH FACES
* Jacqueline Phillips Shedd - Producer, Ben Shedd - Producer, THE FLIGHT OF THE GOSSAMER CONDOR
August Cinquegrana - Producer, GOODNIGHT MISS ANN
J. Gary Mitchell - Producer, SQUIRES OF SAN QUENTIN
Robert E. Swink, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL
Don Zimmerman, COMING HOME
* Peter Zinner, THE DEER HUNTER
Gerry Hambling, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
Stuart Baird, SUPERMAN
Music - Original Score
Jerry Goldsmith, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL
Ennio Morricone, DAYS OF HEAVEN
Dave Grusin, HEAVEN CAN WAIT
* Giorgio Moroder, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
John Williams, SUPERMAN
Music - Original Song Score and Its Adaptation or Adaptation Score
* Joe Renzetti, THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY
Jerry Wexler, PRETTY BABY
Quincy Jones - Music Adaptation, THE WIZ
Music - Original Song
John Farrar - Music & Lyrics, GREASE
"Hopelessly Devoted to You"
* Paul Jabara - Music & Lyrics, THANK GOD, IT'S FRIDAY
Marvin Hamlisch - Music, Alan Bergman - Lyrics, Marilyn Bergman - Lyrics, SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR
"The Last Time I Felt Like This"
Charles Fox - Music, Norman Gimbel - Lyrics, FOUL PLAY
"Ready to Take a Chance Again"
Richard M. Sherman - Music & Lyrics, Robert B. Sherman - Music & Lyrics, THE MAGIC OF LASSIE
"When You're Loved"
Short Films - Animated
(formerly Animated Films)
Nico Crama - Producer, OH MY DARLING
Will Vinton - Producer, RIP VAN WINKLE
* Eunice Macaulay - Producer, John Weldon - Producer, SPECIAL DELIVERY
Short Films - Live Action
Jim Belcher - Producer, Fern Field - Producer, A DIFFERENT APPROACH
Andrew Sugerman - Producer, MANDY'S GRANDMOTHER
Seth Pinsker - Producer, STRANGE FRUIT
* Taylor Hackford - Producer, TEENAGE FATHER
Tex Rudloff, Joel Fein, Curly Thirlwell, Willie Burton, THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY
John K. Wilkinson, Robert W. Glass, Jr., John T. Reitz, Barry Thomas, DAYS OF HEAVEN
* Richard Portman, William McCaughey, Aaron Rochin, Darin Knight, THE DEER HUNTER
Robert Knudson, Robert J. Glass, Don MacDougall, Jack Solomon, HOOPER
Gordon K. McCallum, Graham Hartstone, Nicolas Le Messurier, Roy Charman, SUPERMAN
This award discontinued 1968-1981.
No award given for 1978. See Special Achievement Awards 1978.
* Les Bowie - Visual Effects, Colin Chilvers - Visual Effects, Denys Coop - Visual Effects, Roy Field - Visual Effects, Derek Meddings - Visual Effects, Zoran Perisic - Visual Effects, SUPERMAN
Academy Award of Merit (Statuette)
(formerly Class I (Statuette))
* Eastman Kodak Company, For the research and development of a Duplicating Color Film for Motion Pictures.
* Panavision, Inc.
* Stefan Kudelski (Nagra Magnetic Recorders Inc.)
For the continuing research, design and development of the Nagra Production Sound Recorder for Motion Pictures.
* Panavision Inc.
Robert E. Gottschalk - Staff Supervisor, For the concept, design and continuous development of the Panaflex Motion Picture Camera System.
Scientific and Engineering Award (Plaque)
(formerly Class II (Plaque))
* Ray M. Dolby (Dolby Laboratories Inc.)
Ioan R. Allen (Dolby Laboratories Inc.)
David P. Robinson (Dolby Laboratories Inc.)
Stephen M. Katz (Dolby Laboratories Inc.)
Philip S. J. Boole (Dolby Laboratories Inc.)
For the development and implementation of an improved Sound Recording and Reproducting System for Motion Picture Production and Exhibition.
Technical Achievement Award (Citation)
(formerly Class III (Citation))
* Karl Macher (Isco Optische Werke)
Glenn M. Berggren (Isco Optische Werke)
For the development and introduction of the Cinelux-ULTRA Lens for 35mm Motion Picture Projection.
* David J. Degenkolb (DeLuxe General Inc.)
Arthur L. Ford (DeLuxe General Inc.)
Fred J. Scobey (DeLuxe General Inc.)
For the development of a Method to Recycle Motion Picture Laboratory Photographic Wash Waters by Ion Exchange.
* Kiichi Sekiguchi (Cine-Fi International)
For the development of the Cine-Fi Auto Radio Sound System for Drive-In Theaters.
* Leonard Chapman (Leonard Equipment Company)
For the design and manufacture of a small, mobile, motion picture camera platform known as the Chapman Hustler Dolly.
* James L. Fisher (J.L. Fisher Inc.)
For the design and manufacture of a small, mobile, motion picture camera platform known as the Fisher Model Ten Dolly.
* Robert Stindt (Production Grip Equipment Company)
For the design and manufacture of a small, mobile, motion picture camera platform known as the Stindt Dolly.
Honorary and Other Awards
* Walter Lantz, For bringing joy and laughter to every part of the world through his unique animated motion pictures. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Museum of Modern Art Department of Film, For the contribution it has made to the public's perception of movies as an art form. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Lord Laurence Olivier, For the full body of his work, for the unique achievements of his entire career and his lifetime of contribution to the art of film. Winner presented a Statuette.
* King Vidor, For his incomparable achievements as a cinematic creator and innovator. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Linwood G. Dunn, Loren L. Ryder, Waldon O. Watson, Presented in appreciation for outstanding service and dedication in upholding the high standards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Winners presented Medals of Commendation.
The Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
No award given for 1978.
The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
* Leo Jaffe,