Awards for 1977
* Charles H. Joffe - Producer, ANNIE HALL
Ray Stark - Producer, THE GOODBYE GIRL
Richard Roth - Producer, JULIA
Gary Kurtz - Producer, STAR WARS
Won seven Awards.
Herbert Ross - Producer, Arthur Laurents - Producer, THE TURNING POINT
Woody Allen, ANNIE HALL
Richard Burton, EQUUS
* Richard Dreyfuss, THE GOODBYE GIRL
Marcello Mastroianni, A SPECIAL DAY
John Travolta, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
Anne Bancroft, THE TURNING POINT
Jane Fonda, JULIA
* Diane Keaton, ANNIE HALL
Shirley MacLaine, THE TURNING POINT
Marsha Mason, THE GOODBYE GIRL
Mikhail Baryshnikov, THE TURNING POINT
Peter Firth, EQUUS
Sir Alec Guinness, STAR WARS
* Jason Robards, JULIA
Maximilian Schell, JULIA
Leslie Browne, THE TURNING POINT
Quinn Cummings, THE GOODBYE GIRL
Melinda Dillon, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
* Vanessa Redgrave, JULIA
Tuesday Weld, LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
* Woody Allen, ANNIE HALL
George Lucas, STAR WARS
Herbert Ross, THE TURNING POINT
Steven Spielberg, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
Fred Zinnemann, JULIA
Writing - Screenplay (Written Directly For The Screen)
* Woody Allen, Marshall Brickman, ANNIE HALL
Neil Simon, THE GOODBYE GIRL
Robert Benton, THE LATE SHOW
George Lucas, STAR WARS
Arthur Laurents, THE TURNING POINT
Writing - Screenplay (Based on Material from Another Medium)
Peter Shaffer, EQUUS
Gavin Lambert, Lewis John Carlino, I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
* Alvin Sargent, JULIA
Larry Gelbart, OH, GOD!
Luis Buñuel, Jean-Claude Carrière, THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE
* MADAME ROSA
A SPECIAL DAY
THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE
George C. Webb - Art Direction, Mickey S. Michaels - Set Decoration, AIRPORT '77
Joe Alves - Art Direction, Dan Lomino - Art Direction, Phil Abramson - Set Decoration, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
* John Barry - Art Direction, Norman Reynolds - Art Direction, Leslie Dilley - Art Direction, Roger Christian - Set Decoration, STAR WARS
Ken Adam - Art Direction, Peter Lamont - Art Direction, Hugh Scaife - Art Direction, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
Albert Brenner - Art Direction, Marvin March - Set Decoration, THE TURNING POINT
* Vilmos Zsigmond, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
Fred J. Koenekamp, ISLANDS IN THE STREAM
Douglas Slocombe, JULIA
William A. Fraker, LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Robert L. Surtees, THE TURNING POINT
Edith Head, Burton Miller, AIRPORT '77
Anthea Sylbert, JULIA
Florence Klotz, A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Irene Sharaff, THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT
* John Mollo, STAR WARS
Robert Dornhelm - Producer, Earle Mack - Producer, THE CHILDREN OF THEATRE STREET
Bill Brind - Producer, Torben Schioler - Producer, Tony Ianzelo - Producer, HIGH GRASS CIRCUS
Harry Rasky - Producer, HOMAGE TO CHAGALL—THE COLOURS OF LOVE
James Klein - Producer, Julia Reichert - Producer, Miles Mogulescu - Producer, UNION MAIDS
* John Korty - Producer, Dan McCann - Producer, Warren L. Lockhart - Producer, WHO ARE THE DEBOLTS? (AND WHERE DID THEY GET 19 KIDS?)
Documentary Short Subject
Moctesuma Esparza - Producer, AGUEDA MARTINEZ: OUR PEOPLE, OUR COUNTRY
Helen Whitney - Producer, DeWitt L. Sage, Jr. - Producer, FIRST EDITION
* John Joseph - Producer, Jan Stussy - Producer, GRAVITY IS MY ENEMY
James R. Messenger - Producer, Paul N. Raimondi - Producer, OF TIME, TOMBS AND TREASURE
Douglas Gordon - Producer, THE SHETLAND EXPERIENCE
Michael Kahn, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
Walter Murch, JULIA
Walter Hannemann, Angelo Ross, SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT
* Marcia Lucas, Paul Hirsch, Richard Chew, STAR WARS
William H. Reynolds, THE TURNING POINT
Music - Original Score
John Williams, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
Maurice Jarre, MOHAMMAD, MESSENGER OF GOD/THE MESSAGE
Georges Delerue, JULIA
Marvin Hamlisch, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
* John Williams, STAR WARS
Music - Original Song Score and Its Adaptation or Adaptation Score
* Jonathan Tunick, A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Al Kasha - Song Score, Joel Hirschhorn - Song Score, Irwin Kostal, PETE'S DRAGON
Richard M. Sherman - Song Score, Robert B. Sherman - Song Score, Angela Morley, THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE
Music - Original Song
Al Kasha - Music & Lyrics, Joel Hirschhorn - Music & Lyrics, PETE'S DRAGON
"Candle on the Water"
Marvin Hamlisch - Music, Carole Bayer Sager - Lyrics, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
"Nobody Does It Better"
Richard M. Sherman - Music & Lyrics, Robert B. Sherman - Music & Lyrics, THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE
"The Slipper and the Rose Waltz (He Danced with Me/She Danced with Me)"
Sammy Fain - Music, Carol Connors - Lyrics, Ayn Robbins - Lyrics, THE RESCUERS
"Someone's Waiting for You"
* Joseph Brooks - Music & Lyrics, YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE
"You Light Up My Life"
Short Films - Animated Films
Ishu Patel - Producer, THE BEAD GAME
John Hubley - Producer, Faith Hubley - Producer, Garry Trudeau - Producer, THE DOONESBURY SPECIAL
James Picker - Producer, Robert Grossman - Producer, Craig Whitaker - Producer, JIMMY THE C
* Co Hoedeman - Producer, SAND CASTLE
Short Films - Live Action
William E. McEuen - Producer, THE ABSENT-MINDED WAITER
Jerry Butts - Producer, FLOATING FREE
* Beverly Shaffer - Producer, Yuki Yoshida - Producer, I'LL FIND A WAY
Saul Bass - Producer, NOTES ON THE POPULAR ARTS
Philip Dauber - Producer, SPACEBORNE
Robert Knudson, Robert J. Glass, Don MacDougall, Gene S. Cantamessa, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
Walter Goss, Dick Alexander, Tom Beckert, Robin Gregory, THE DEEP
Robert Knudson, Robert J. Glass, Richard Tyler, Jean-Louis Ducarme, SORCERER
* Don MacDougall, Ray West, Bob Minkler, Derek Ball, STAR WARS
Theodore Soderberg, Paul Wells, Douglas O. Williams, Jerry Jost, THE TURNING POINT
This award discontinued 1968-1981.
(formerly Special Visual Effects)
Roy Arbogast, Douglas Trumbull, Matthew Yuricich, Gregory Jein, Richard Yuricich, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
* John Stears, John Dykstra, Richard Edlund, Grant McCune, Robert Blalack, STAR WARS
* Ben Burtt - Sound Effects, STAR WARS
For the creation of the alien, creature and robot voices featured in STAR WARS.
* Frank E. Warner - Sound Effects Editing, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
Class I (Statuette)
* Garrett Brown, Cinema Product Corporation Engineering Staff, John Jurgens - Supervisor, For the invention and development of the Steadicam.
Class II (Plaque)
* Joseph D. Kelly (Glen Glenn Sound)
Emory M. Cohen (Glen Glenn Sound)
Barry K. Henley (Glen Glenn Sound)
Hammond H. Holt (Glen Glenn Sound)
John Agalsoff (Glen Glenn Sound)
For the concept and development of a post-production Audio Processing System for Motion Picture Films.
* Panavision, Inc.
For the concept and engineering of the improvements incorporated in the Panaflex Motion Picture Camera.
* N. Paul Kenworthy, Jr.
William R. Latady, For the invention and development of the Kenworthy Snorkel Camera System for motion picture photography.
* John Dykstra, Alvah J. Miller, Jerry Jeffress, For the engineering of the Electronic Motion Control System used in concert for multiple exposure visual effects motion picture photography.
* Eastman Kodak Company, For the development and introduction of a new duplicating film for motion pictures.
* Stefan Kudelski (Nagra Magnetic Recorders Inc.)
For the engineering of the improvements incorporated in the Nagra 4.2L sound recorder for motion picture production.
Class III (Citation)
* Ernst Nettmann (Astrovision Division of Continental Camera Systems Inc.)
For the engineering of its Snorkel Aerial Camera System.
* Electronic Engineering Company of California (EECO)
For developing a method for interlocking non-sprocketed film and tape media used in motion picture production.
* Dr. Bernhard Kuhl (Osram GmbH)
Werner Block (Osram GmbH)
For the development of the HMI high-efficiency discharge lamp for motion picture lighting.
* Panavision Inc.
For the design of Panalite, a camera-mounted controllable light for motion picture photography.
* Panavision Inc.
For the engineering of the Panahead gearhead for motion picture cameras.
* Piclear Inc.
For originating and developing an attachment to motion picture projectors to improve screen image quality.
Honorary and Other Awards
* Margaret Booth, For her exceptional contribution to the art of film editing in the motion picture industry. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Gordon E. Sawyer, Presented in appreciation for outstanding service and dedication in upholding the high standards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Winner presented with a Medal of Commendation.
* Sidney Paul Solow, Presented in appreciation for outstanding service and dedication in upholding the high standards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Winner presented with a Medal of Commendation.
The Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
* Walter Mirisch,
The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
* Charlton Heston,