Awards for 1957
* Sam Spiegel - Producer, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Won seven Awards.
Jerry Wald - Producer, PEYTON PLACE
William Goetz - Producer, SAYONARA
Henry Fonda - Producer, Reginald Rose - Producer, 12 ANGRY MEN
Arthur Hornblow, Jr. - Producer, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
Marlon Brando, SAYONARA
Anthony Franciosa, A HATFUL OF RAIN
* Sir Alec Guinness, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Charles Laughton, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
Anthony Quinn, WILD IS THE WIND
Deborah Kerr, HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON
Anna Magnani, WILD IS THE WIND
Elizabeth Taylor, RAINTREE COUNTY
Lana Turner, PEYTON PLACE
* Joanne Woodward, THE THREE FACES OF EVE
* Red Buttons, SAYONARA
Vittorio De Sica, A FAREWELL TO ARMS
Sessue Hayakawa, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Arthur Kennedy, PEYTON PLACE
Russ Tamblyn, PEYTON PLACE
Carolyn Jones, THE BACHELOR PARTY
Elsa Lanchester, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
Hope Lange, PEYTON PLACE
* Miyoshi Umeki, SAYONARA
Diane Varsi, PEYTON PLACE
* Sir David Lean, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Joshua Logan, SAYONARA
Sidney Lumet, 12 ANGRY MEN
Mark Robson, PEYTON PLACE
Billy Wilder, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
Writing - Story and Screenplay (Written Directly For The Screen)
Rules changed in 1957: One award instead of two; Motion Picture Story and Screenplay (Original) consolidated into Story and Screenplay (Written Directly For The Screen)
* George Wells, DESIGNING WOMAN
Leonard Gershe, FUNNY FACE
Ralph Wheelright, R. Wright Campbell, Ivan Goff, Ben Roberts, MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES
Barney Slater, Joel Kane, Dudley Nichols, THE TIN STAR
Federico Fellini, Ennio Flaiano, Tullio Pinelli, I VITELLONI
Writing - Screenplay (Based on Material from Another Medium)
(formerly Screenplay (Adapted))
* Pierre Boulle (Michael Wilson & Carl Foreman) THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
- Writers blacklisted and considered ineligible under Academy by-laws. Awarded in 1985.
John Lee Mahin, John Huston, HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON
John Michael Hayes, PEYTON PLACE
Paul Osborn, SAYONARA
Reginald Rose, 12 ANGRY MEN
THE DEVIL CAME AT NIGHT
(Federal Republic of Germany)
GATES OF PARIS
* NIGHTS OF CABIRIA
Rules changed in 1957: One award for Art Direction/Set Decoration instead of separate awards for Color and Black & White.
Hal Pereira - Art Direction, George W. Davis - Art Direction, Sam Comer - Set Decoration, Ray Moyer - Set Decoration, FUNNY FACE
William A. Horning - Art Direction, Gene Allen - Art Direction, Edwin B. Willis - Set Decoration, Richard Pefferle - Set Decoration, LES GIRLS
Walter Holscher - Art Direction, William Kiernan - Set Decoration, Louis Diage - Set Decoration, PAL JOEY
William A. Horning - Art Direction, Urie McCleary - Art Direction, Edwin B. Willis - Set Decoration, Hugh Hunt - Set Decoration, RAINTREE COUNTY
* Ted Haworth - Art Direction, Robert Priestley - Set Decoration, SAYONARA
Rules changed in 1957: One award for Cinematography instead of separate awards for Color and Black & White.
Milton Krasner, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
* Jack Hildyard, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Ray June, FUNNY FACE
William C. Mellor, PEYTON PLACE
Ellsworth Fredericks, SAYONARA
Rules changed in 1957: One award for Costume Design instead of separate awards for Color and Black & White.
Charles LeMaire, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
Edith Head, Hubert de Givenchy, FUNNY FACE
* Orry-Kelly, LES GIRLS
Jean Louis, PAL JOEY
Walter Plunkett, RAINTREE COUNTY
* Jerome Hill - Producer, ALBERT SCHWEITZER
Lionel Rogosin - Producer, ON THE BOWERY
Manuel Barbachano Ponce - Producer, TORERO!
Documentary Short Subject
No award given for 1957.
* Peter Taylor, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Warren Low, GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL
Viola Lawrence, Jerome Thoms, PAL JOEY
Arthur P. Schmidt, Philip W. Anderson, SAYONARA
Daniel Mandell, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
Music - Score
Rules changed in 1957: Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture and Scoring of a Musical Picture consolidated into Score.
Hugo Friedhofer, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
Hugo Friedhofer, BOY ON A DOLPHIN
* Malcolm Arnold, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Paul Smith, PERRI
Johnny Green, RAINTREE COUNTY
Dimitri Tiomkin - Music, Ned Washington - Lyrics, WILD IS THE WIND
"Wild is the Wind"
Ray Evans - Music & Lyrics, Jay Livingston - Music & Lyrics, TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR
Sammy Fain - Music, Paul Francis Webster - Lyrics, APRIL LOVE
* James Van Heusen - Music, Sammy Cahn - Lyrics, THE JOKER IS WILD
"All The Way"
Harry Warren - Music, Harold Adamson - Lyrics, Leo McCarey - Lyrics, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
"An Affair To Remember"
* Edward Selzer - Producer, BIRDS ANONYMOUS
William Hanna - Producer, Joseph Barbera - Producer, ONE DROOPY KNIGHT
Edward Selzer - Producer, TABASCO ROAD
Stephen Bosustow - Producer, TREES AND JAMAICA DADDY
Walt Disney - Producer, THE TRUTH ABOUT MOTHER GOOSE
Short Subjects - Live Action Subjects
Rules changed in 1957: Two-reel and One-reel Short Subjects consolidated into Live Action Subjects.
Norman McLaren - Producer, A CHARITY TALE
Tom Daly - Producer, CITY OF GOLD
James Carr - Producer, FOOTHOLD ON ANTARCTICA
Ben Sharpsteen - Producer, PORTUGAL
* Larry Lansburgh - Producer, THE WETBACK HOUND
(formerly Sound Recording)
George Dutton (Paramount Studio Sound Department),
GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL
Dr. Wesley C. Miller (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio Sound Department),
John P. Livadary (Columbia Studio Sound Department),
* George Groves (Warner Bros. Studio Sound Department),
Gordon Sawyer (Samuel Goldwyn Studio Sound Department),
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
* Walter Rossi - Audible Effects,
THE ENEMY BELOW
Louis Lichtenfield - Visual Effects,
THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS
Class I (Statuette)
* Todd-AO Corporation, Westrex Corporation, For developing a method of producing and exhibiting wide-film motion pictures known as the Todd-AO System.
* Motion Picture Research Council, For the design and development of a high efficiency projection screen for drive-in theatres.
Class II (Plaque)
* Societe D'Optique et de Mecanique de Haute Precision, For the development of a high speed vari-focal photographic lens.
* Harlan L. Baumbach, Lorand Wargo, Howard M. Little, Unicorn Engineering Corporation, For the development of an automatic printer light selector.
Class III (Citation)
* Charles E. Sutter, William Bryson Smith, Paramount Pictures Corporation, General Cable Corporation, For the engineering and application to studio use of aluminum lightweight electrical cable and connectors.
Honorary and Other Awards
* Charles Brackett, For outstanding service to the Academy. Winner presented a Statuette.
* B.B. Kahane, For distinguished service to the motion picture industry. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Gilbert M. Anderson, Motion picture pioneer, for his contributions to the development of motion pictures as entertainment. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Society Of Motion Picture And Television Engineers, For their contributions to the advancement of the motion picture industry. Winner presented a Statuette.
The Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
No award given for 1957.
The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
* Samuel Goldwyn,