Awards for 1947
Samuel Goldwyn - Producer, THE BISHOP'S WIFE
Adrian Scott - Producer, CROSSFIRE
* Darryl F. Zanuck - Producer, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
Ronald Neame - Producer, GREAT EXPECTATIONS
William Perlberg - Producer, MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
* Ronald Colman, A DOUBLE LIFE
John Garfield, BODY AND SOUL
Gregory Peck, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
William Powell, LIFE WITH FATHER
Sir Michael Redgrave, MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA
Joan Crawford, POSSESSED
Susan Hayward, SMASH-UP, THE STORY OF A WOMAN
Dorothy McGuire, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
Rosalind Russell, MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA
* Loretta Young, THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER
Charles Bickford, THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER
Thomas Gomez, RIDE THE PINK HORSE
* Edmund Gwenn, MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
Robert Ryan, CROSSFIRE
Richard Widmark, KISS OF DEATH
Ethel Barrymore, THE PARADINE CASE
Gloria Grahame, CROSSFIRE
* Celeste Holm, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
Marjorie Main, THE EGG AND I
Anne Revere, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
George Cukor, A DOUBLE LIFE
Edward Dmytryk, CROSSFIRE
* Elia Kazan, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
Henry Koster, THE BISHOP'S WIFE
Sir David Lean, GREAT EXPECTATIONS
Writing - Original Story
Georges Chaperot, Rene Wheeler, A CAGE OF NIGHTINGALES
Herbert Clyde Lewis, Frederick Stephani, IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE
Eleazar Lipsky, KISS OF DEATH
* Valentine Davies, MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
Dorothy Parker, Frank Cavett, SMASH-UP, THE STORY OF A WOMAN
Writing - Original Screenplay
* Sidney Sheldon, THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER
Abraham Polonsky, BODY AND SOUL
Ruth Gordon, Garson Kanin, A DOUBLE LIFE
Sir Charles Chaplin, MONSIEUR VERDOUX
Sergio Amidei, Adolfo Franci, C.G. Viola, Cesare Zavattini, SHOESHINE
Writing - Screenplay
Richard Murphy, BOOMERANG!
John Paxton, CROSSFIRE
Moss Hart, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
Sir David Lean, Ronald Neame, Anthony Havelock-Allan, GREAT EXPECTATIONS
* George Seaton, MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
Art Direction/Set Decoration - Color
(formerly Interior Decoration - Color)
* Alfred Junge - Art Direction, BLACK NARCISSUS
Robert M. Haas - Art Direction, George James Hopkins - Set Decoration, LIFE WITH FATHER
Art Direction/Set Decoration - Black & White
(formerly Interior Decoration - Black & White)
Lyle Wheeler - Art Direction, Maurice Ransford - Art Direction, Thomas Little - Set Decoration, Paul S. Fox - Set Decoration, THE FOXES OF HARROW
* John Bryan - Art Direction, Wilfred Shingleton - Set Decoration, GREAT EXPECTATIONS
Cinematography - Color
* Jack Cardiff, BLACK NARCISSUS
J. Peverell Marley, William V. Skall, LIFE WITH FATHER
Harry Jackson, MOTHER WORE TIGHTS
Cinematography - Black & White
Charles B. Lang, THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR
* Guy Green, GREAT EXPECTATIONS
George Folsey, GREEN DOLPHIN STREET
* Sid Rogell - Executive Producer, Theron Warth - Producer, Richard O. Fleischer - Producer, DESIGN FOR DEATH
U.S. Department of State, Office of Information and Educational Exchange, JOURNEY INTO MEDICINE
Paul Rotha - Producer, THE WORLD IS RICH
Documentary Short Subject
* United Nations Division of Films and Visual Education, FIRST STEPS
Frederic Ullman, Jr. - Producer, PASSPORT TO NOWHERE
Australian News and Information Bureau, SCHOOL IN THE MAILBOX
Monica Collingwood, THE BISHOP'S WIFE
* Francis Lyon, Robert Parrish, BODY AND SOUL
Harmon Jones, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
George White, GREEN DOLPHIN STREET
Fergus McDonnell, ODD MAN OUT
Music - Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture
Hugo Friedhofer, THE BISHOP'S WIFE
Alfred Newman, CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE
* Miklos Rozsa, A DOUBLE LIFE
David Raksin, FOREVER AMBER
Max Steiner, LIFE WITH FATHER
Music - Scoring of a Musical Picture
Johnny Green, FIESTA
* Alfred Newman, MOTHER WORE TIGHTS
Ray Heindorf, Max Steiner, MY WILD IRISH ROSE
Robert Emmett Dolan, ROAD TO RIO
Daniele Amfitheatrof, Paul J. Smith, Charles Wolcott, SONG OF THE SOUTH
Arthur Schwartz - Music, Leo Robin - Lyrics, THE TIME, THE PLACE AND THE GIRL
"A Gal in Calico"
Frank Loesser - Music & Lyrics, THE PERILS OF PAULINE
"I Wish I Didn't Love You So"
Ralph Blane - Music & Lyrics, Hugh Martin - Music & Lyrics, Roger Edens - Music & Lyrics, GOOD NEWS
"Pass That Peace Pipe"
Josef Myrow - Music, Mack Gordon - Lyrics, MOTHER WORE TIGHTS
* Allie Wrubel - Music, Ray Gilbert - Lyrics, SONG OF THE SOUTH
Walt Disney - Producer, CHIP AN' DALE
Frederick Quimby - Producer, DR. JEKYLL AND MR. MOUSE
Walt Disney - Producer, PLUTO'S BLUE NOTE
George Pal - Producer, TUBBY THE TUBA
* Edward Selzer - Producer, TWEETIE PIE
Short Subjects - One-Reel
Thomas Mead - Producer, BROOKLYN, U.S.A.
* Herbert Moulton - Producer, GOODBYE MISS TURLOCK
Jerry Fairbanks - Producer, MOON ROCKETS
Pete Smith - Producer, NOW YOU SEE IT
Gordon Hollingshead - Producer, SO YOU WANT TO BE IN PICTURES (JOE MCDOAKES SERIES)
Short Subjects - Two-Reel
Harry Grey - Producer, CHAMPAGNE FOR TWO
* Irving Allen - Producer, CLIMBING THE MATTERHORN
Thomas Mead - Producer, FIGHT OF THE WILD STALLIONS
Herbert Morgan - Producer, GIVE US THE EARTH
Ben Blake - Producer, A VOICE IS BORN
* Goldwyn Sound Department, THE BISHOP'S WIFE
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Sound Department, GREEN DOLPHIN STREET
Sound Services Inc.,
* A. Arnold Gillespie,
Warren Newcombe (Visual),
Michael Steinore (Audible),
GREEN DOLPHIN STREET
Paul Lerpae (Visual),
George Dutton (Audible),
Class I (Statuette)
No award given for 1947.
Class II (Plaque)
* C.C. Davis, Electrical Research Products Division of Western Electric Company, For the development and application of an improved film drive filter mechanism.
* C.R. Daily, Paramount Studio Film Laboratory Still and Engineering Departments, For the development and first practical application to motion picture and still photography of a method of increasing film speed as first suggested to the industry by E I duPont de Nemours & Company.
Class III (Citation)
* Nathan Levinson, Warner Bros. Studio Sound Department, For the design and construction of a constant-speed sound editing machine.
* Farciot Edouart, C.R. Daily, Hal Corl, H.G. Cartwright, Paramount Studio Transparency and Engineering Departments, For the first application of a special anti-solarizing glass to high intensity background and spot arc projectors.
* Fred Ponedel (Warner Bros. Studio)
For pioneering the fabrication and practical application to motion picture color photography of large translucent photographic backgrounds.
* Kurt Singer, RCA - Victor Division of the Radio Corporation of America, For the design and development of a continuously variable band elimination filter.
* James Gibbons (Warner Bros. Studio)
For the development and production of large dyed plastic filters for motion picture photography.
Honorary and Other Awards
* James Baskett, For his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and storyteller to the children of the world. Winner presented a Statuette.
* BILL AND COO
In which artistry and patience blended in a novel and entertaining use of the medium of motion pictures. Winner presented a Plaque.
The high quality of this motion picture, brought to eloquent life in a country scarred by war, is proof to the world that the creative spirit can triumph over adversity. Winner presented a Statuette.
* Colonel William N. Selig, Albert E. Smith, Thomas Armat, George K. Spoor, One of the small group of pioneers whose belief in a new medium, and whose contributions to its development, blazed the trail along which the motion picture has progressed, in their lifetime, from obscurity to world-wide acclaim. Winners presented Statuettes.
The Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
No award given for 1947.